The 4th Annual Ralph Anderson Veterans Outing was held September 8th on Pewaukee Lake to honor our friend Ralph Anderson & our Veterans for their service.
This year we had every branch of the military represented when 12 Veterans met with our chapter volunteers at Smokey’s Musky shop between 6-7 am, paired up and went out Muskie fishing until about noon. Prior to going out, all veterans received a Muskie lure and a commemorative hat. Judy Anderson and family prepared bratwurst & hamburgers plus multiple side dishes for the hungry fishermen. After lunch a raffle for prizes was conducted and all veterans received additional gifts.
Two veterans caught Muskies:
- Joe Arvoy (his 4th year), paired with Roy Hinkforth caught a nice 38” fish on a figure 8.
- Dan Veara (his 1st year), paired with Mike Phelps caught a fine 31” fish.
A few veterans had follows and a couple had hits that didn’t stay hooked but all had a great day on the water and expressed their enjoyment of the day.
Ken Greenlees of the Mukwonago VFW presented us with a plaque in appreciation of our chapter hosting this event. This is the third year we’ve received this award from the Mukwonago VFW and it’s always an honor.
Many thanks to the following organizations and people for making this event possible:
- James Haworth @ Tackle Industries (Super D’s)
- Bill Schwartz (Slammer Tackle)
- Gene Seuring (Leaders & Lures)
- Red October Baits Co.
- Musky Innovations
- Justin Blanchar (Vibrations tackle)
- Becky Smith (Dick Smiths)
- Daryl Neibauer (Bitten Tackle)
- Hays Company of Wisconsin via Geoff Verges for a generous gift card donation that paid for the food & beverages.
- Judy Anderson & her family always make a significant contribution to this event. She picked up the Brats & Burgers and the family cooked it for the vets. They also made several side dishes and brought the condiments and some accessories. If that wasn’t enough, Judy insisted on making a cash donation to help pay for the event.
- Smokey’s for allowing us to gather there and provided the grills and propane. John Laimon the owner is a great patriot and supporter of our military.
- Nancy Hinkforth & Susan Arvoy for side dishes & desserts.
- Our Superb Guides, for without them we would have nothing:
- Craig Ader
- Steve (the Musky madman) Berg
- Justin Blanchar
- Bob Bornfleth (didn’t teach his vet how to set a hook…Just Kidding)
- Gene Daul
- Roy (the Hammer) Hinkforth
- Chris Julka
- Shawn Killips (from the Fox Valley chapter)
- Jerry Kriss
- David Muchow
- Mike (the troll master) Phelps
- Geoff Verges (a great help to this years’ event in other areas too)
- Finally & most importantly our Veterans for joining us. This year we had every branch of the military represented. We had 18 scheduled originally but one cancelled the day before, two cancelled on Saturday and three never showed. So maybe a little down this year from last year but a great event nonetheless.
The lure manufactures and sporting stores identified above have graciously donated their goods to this event. I would hope our members frequent their businesses and give them priority when deciding to upgrade their stock pile of Musky equipment or lures.